What is Sperm Donation?
Sperm donation is the process of collecting sperm specimen either for immediate or future use. The end goal is to fertilize an egg that will ultimately lead to conception and birth. Donated sperm can be injected into a woman's reproductive organs (intrauterine insemination) or used to fertilize mature eggs in a lab (in vitro fertilization).
Reasons to consider Sperm Donation:
- Insufficient quantity or quality of sperm
- Erectile disfunction or inability to ejaculate during sex
- Men diagnosed with retrograde ejaculation (semen backflows into the urinary tract)
- Men undergoing cancer treatment
- Same sex female couples who wish to use donated sperm for family planning
- Single mothers by choice